When should you hire a Conservatorship Planning Attorney in Los Angeles?
Clients in Los Angeles often ask us whether they need to hire a conservatorship planning attorney for an elderly or aging parent, or a disabled child.
Below is a short checklist to help you make the decision when there are no valid power of attorney documents in place:
1. Can your aging or disabled parent properly administer medication to himself or herself?
2. Can your parent understand the consequence of making a medical decision?
3. Can your parent provide food or shelter for himself? Cook safely or buy food.
4. Is your parent influenced by someone to give away his or her money?
5. Are there signs that he or she cannot be safe when left alone at home?
6. Is your parent regularly bathing himself or herself?
7. Does your parent clean clothes or wash his or her clothes?
8. Are there bills that are unpaid? This is the number one sign for need for assistance.
9. Is he or she forgetful of recent events? While some forgetfulness is normal, repeated unpaid bills, or utilities having been turned off, is a sign that he/she needs help.
10. Are there people who are trying to take financial advantage of your aging parent? Caregivers, contractors, family, and neighbors are the number one perpetrators of elder financial abuse.
CAN I GET A CONSERVATORSHIP IF THERE IS A POWER OF ATTORNEY IN PLACE?
Yes. Old or invalid Power of attorney documents can be suspended or revoked by the court. You can appoint a conservator, and ask that the court suspend the agent under a power of attorney for good cause. An agent under a power of attorney can be forced to account for the assets of the person which they handle.
WHAT TO DO FIRST WHEN MOST OF THE ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS ARE YES?
1. Check to see if there are valid Advanced Directives and power of attorney documents in place. If you question the validity of a power of attorney, call us.
2. Call Sirkin Law Group at 818.340.4479 and ask for a call assessment regarding your case.
3. Ask us to give you a Capacity Declaration to be completed by a physician. If your loved one will not submit to a doctor’s examination, please call let us know. We have solutions for this.
4. Gather a list of medications and assets of your loved one. Be sure to read our article regarding aging parents.
5. Set an in-person appointment to go over the Conservatorship Procedures in Los Angeles County.
Mina Sirkin, Conservatorship Attorney Los Angeles at 818.340.4479. Our attorneys serve the Los Angeles, Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica, West Los Angeles, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, West Hills, Tarzana, Canoga Park, Studio City, Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Chatsworth, Northridge, Canoga Park, Winnetka, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Burbank, North Hollywood, and Westlake Village areas. Conservatorship Attorney Los Angeles.by